Since learning last Friday that school could start on September 15, Preble and District administrators have been working hard to determine how to make up the lost instructional time.
Developing a new schedule to meet the required minutes did provide some challenges:
- Throughout the school year students and teachers travel between buildings. This required us to keep a schedule that was as close to the original daily schedule as possible.
- We needed to build in two snow days, so if school was closed for more than two days this year, due to snow or cold temperatures, Preble students would not be attending school longer than other students in the district, potentially impacting family vacation plans.
- Preble students are heavily engaged in afterschool activities and sports. It was important that the school day end at a time that did not significantly interfere with those opportunities.
The plan to make-up the minutes, is as follows:
- Students will still start school at 7:30 a.m.
- Approximately two minutes will be added to each class period, which will result in the school day ending at 3:18 p.m. instead of 3:00 p.m. (Click here for the daily schedule).
- The following early release days will instead be full student contact days: October 10, 2014; December 5, 2014; January 30, 2015; and May 8, 2015.
- October 31, 2014 which was scheduled to be a recess day, will now be a student contact day.
- The final exam schedules, parent-teacher conferences, and grading periods all remain as previously scheduled. In addition there are no changes to winter recess and spring break. (Click here for the calendar).
In addition to the changes for the school year, please note the following reminders:
- Registration for students will be September 11, from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m., and September 12, from 7 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Freshmen Forward will be held on September 12. Students are assigned to one of three time slots by alphabet:
- A-G: 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- H-P: 11:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Q-Z: 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Homecoming will remain September 26 with the dance held on September 27.
- Preble students taking courses at East, West, and Southwest High Schools will begin their classes on Wednesday, September 3. Due to a shortened day at the other high schools, students will not be attending classes on Tuesday, September 2. Students should travel to the school 20 minutes early on Wednesday, September 3, to get directions on where to park and provide enough time to locate their classrooms. All Preble students traveling to the other high schools should identify themselves at the front office to get their traveling student ID and parking pass.
We do recognize that there may be individual circumstances that may not have been addressed in this correspondence. Please feel free to call (920) 391-2400 with any questions or concerns.